Friday, September 4, 2009

Taking it easy

The second day of class went pretty much like the first. It really doesn’t feel like four hours, but it is. Every day. Except tomorrow and Sunday, which is exciting! AIFS has built into their program some day trips, and tomorrow is one of those. We’re all going to the Alhambra for a tour. I don’t know that much about it, so it should be interesting! We had to tell our cook today that we wouldn’t be at lunch tomorrow. She’s making us bocadillos (sub sandwich-type things) for us to take with us instead. Speaking of meals, today’s menu wasn’t quite as satisfactory as the past few days. Breakfast was, once again, toast and coffee. I have a feeling that’s all it’ll ever be. No complaints. For lunch we had this odd cold soup (gazpacho?) which all of us US students sort of tried to get down as fast as we could. Then there was a sort of mushroom and pork stew with fries on the side. The fries were really good, and reminded me of the fresh French fries at the fair. Yummy! For dinner we had our more normal (hot) soup that looks and tastes like alphabet soup (actually, the first day we had it, it DID have letters in it). I’m a big fan of that. Then we got this pasta with olives and carrots mixed in. On the side there was cold ham with some sort of melted cheese on the inside. Dessert was an ice cream sandwich…haha. Over dinner, there was a new kid who came into the comedor. We had an empty seat at our table, so we offered it to him. He didn’t look like a Spaniard, but he was speaking to Scarlett pretty fluently. We started talking, and found out he’s from the southern part of Holland. His name is Thijmen (I made him write it down because I couldn’t even start to imagine how it was spelled). He speaks VERY good English with almost no accent. Apparently he decided he wanted to study Spanish here, but his university wouldn’t help him get situated, so he organized everything himself. However, one of his old teachers is now a professor at UGR, so he has been able to keep in contact with him. I’m just amazed at the different types of people we have around us.

Quite a few of the students are out and about right now. They left around 11pm for tapas and drinks, and then were going to head over to meet (a bunch of) people at one of the discos. They were planning on leaving the bar for the disco around 2am…so I decided to pass. We have our trip tomorrow that apparently has a lot of walking, so I don’t want to be too tired. Speaking of which, I should probably start getting ready for bed! Keep an eye out for all of my Alhambra pictures tomorrow! …or when I get internet fast enough to upload things. As of right now I’ve had my computer on for 3 hours and it still hasn’t uploaded my most recent 5 pictures…

Chao!
M

p.s. I have my Skype working now, and I can call any US landline or cell phone! I tried it today and it works! So crazy how that works…so if anyone wants a phone call, just let me know!

p.p.s. Gelato count: 4

1 comment:

  1. You can find us on skype! We could try it some night when you're all settled in. :)
    Ciao ciao!

    ReplyDelete