Thursday, September 3, 2009

MIMI'S FIRST TAPAS!

Today was the first day of our “Language Intensive” classes. We all kind of walked to the CLM building, not knowing what to expect. Some people found out their classes were actually in a different building, but I got lucky! My class actually has 2 profesores. One named Mariangeles and one named Javier. Mariangeles is VERY nice and teaches us for the first 3 hours of the day. Today was all review, so it was pretty easy…I hope it doesn’t stay this way! Javier was really funny, and he dealt with the more cultural aspect of our lesson. Class ended in him giving us the names of his top 5 bars. Homework.

Before lunch I decided to watch more Spanish TV since it really seems to help. I went downstairs to find one of the Spaniard girls down there watching what I assumed to be a rather popular comedy show. We tried talking for a bit in Spanish, and then she admitted that she had studied in the US for 2 years and spoke very good English. Tricky, tricky. Now she’s here at UGR studying pharmacy.

We had an interesting lunch today. It was fried fish (looked identical to the fish I ate in London) with a side of this bean/tomato salad. I think we all had a difficult time with this meal, but dinner was wonderful. We got sopa (soup) for starters, and then moved on to a plate with jamon (ham), juevos (eggs) and some sort of mixed vegetables. It was really good! Dessert was yogurt! I think I could get used to eating like this…

After dinner a few of us went out in search of a fun tapas bar. We brought along our new friend, Danny, from Barcelona. He’s staying at Jardines and has become quite close with a number of us. He is still a bit unfamiliar with the area, but it was nice having him along to get tips and hints from locals. Literally every bar was filled up outside, so we ended up having to sit inside. However, the door was wide open, so air (and street vendors) came in easily! It was just like being outside. Our tapas included a sort of bruschetta and mannnny olives. On Danny’s second drink he got chicken wings! Lucky. Somehow he managed to get me to talk about circus. I have kept it very quiet so far on the trip (only Merete and Will knew) just because people a lot of the time don’t understand and just assume it’s a lot weirder than it actually is. And with Danny, seeing as I can’t even explain what I do to people in ENGLISH I was quite nervous about trying it in Spanish. I think he got the gist of it! It helped that he knew what Cirque du Soleil is…it’s surprising how many people don’t! That just makes things more difficult, haha.

Tonight was a lot better in regards to going out with a group. We kept it rather small, and were actually able to fit at one table! Whoa. However, tomorrow is a kid’s birthday in the program. I heard from a reliable source that there are about30 kids going out to celebrate. Classy, chicos, classy. I hope no one ends up ‘con la policía’!

Class again early tomorrow…so I better head to bed. Merete’s already sleeping! Hope all is well!
M

No comments:

Post a Comment