Monday, September 7, 2009

...C is for Churros con chocolate

SUNDAY, September 6, 2009

We didn’t get fed today…staff had the day off. They’re probably lucky they didn’t have to deal with some of the people here. One girl didn’t come home last night (well, not until 8am), and some of the others freaked out and decided to wake everyone up to figure out where she was. Drama, drama, drama. Then another one of the girls passed out on the street, and then the police brought her home, and then she passed out on our stairs, etc.

Anyways, this morning, just to get out of the building, Will and I had breakfast in one of the nearby plazas. We got churros con chocolate, but we didn’t know how many to order. Thinking we should each just get one, we ordered 2 chocolates and 2 churros. Big mistake. And I mean BIG. Each order of churros is 5 foot long pieces of churro. Granted they aren’t very filling, they’re still HUGE. Regardless, as hungry college kids, we ate our money’s worth and downed them all. They were soooooo good…I can’t wait until next Sunday when I have an excuse to go buy breakfast.

For lunch a few of us went to the first cafeteria that we ate at the first day we were here. We ordered Cokes and were given large tapas. The first round was tortilla y baicon (sandwich with eggs and bacon), and the second was hamburguesas (mini hamburgers). Even though they were pretty filling, we still stopped at a gelato place on the way back to Jardines. I tried a new flavor called tarta de miel y canela (Spanish cake with cinnamon and honey). That was very good, yet still not as good as avellana (you guessed it…hazelnut).

There were only a few of us around today since 2 girls went to the beach, and a few others stayed in bed all day. This was quite relaxing, so the few of us who were up just sort of wandered around the entire day. I didn’t want to go to the beach this first weekend because I decided it would probably be a good idea to learn my surroundings (since I’ll be living here) before running off to other places. We go to the beach with all the AIFS kids in 2 weeks anyways! In the evening I watched some more television. Billy Madison was on…Adam Sandler sounds even funnier in Spanish. I also watched some more Disney Channel, though CNN is growing on me.

For dinner a small group of us went to the place we ate at for dinner the first night we were here (I guess today must have just been a ‘repeat’ day!) called El Cine. It’s actually an Italian themed place, but they’re always very nice. We got home pretty late from that, and all I had time left to do was finish up my homework. It was during my homework that I decided I would try and move up a level in my Spanish class. TOOOOO easy.
Well, tomorrow we have class early again. Wish me luck switching levels!
M

Gelato count: 6

2 comments:

  1. Your 'food blog' makes me hungry! Churros,chocolate,tapas...such choices.

    ReplyDelete